Only students who have submitted a complete application and have met the minimum requirements will be granted an audition for admission to the ChiArts Dance Department. Please visit the application pages for more information.
Students of all abilities may audition for admission into the dance program. ChiArts recognizes the need to provide opportunities for students who have had high levels of prior dance instruction, as well as students who have had little to no prior training but demonstrate a strong natural ability and a desire to learn.
In order to place the students in the appropriate audition session, applicants must complete the arts experience section on the admission application that describes any prior artistic training or experience. It is important for students to be thorough and accurate when submitting this information. Students will be placed in one of the following audition groups based on their level of experience:
- DANCE (Two or more years of recent formal ballet training)
- DANCE-NOVICE (Less than two years of formal ballet training, or little to no formal training in any dance form)
Required audition preparation:
- The student is required to prepare a one-minute solo in any style of his/her choice; the student must bring music for the solo on CD. All solos will be timed.
- The audition will also include time for the adjudicators to ask the student questions.
Audition dress requirements:
- All: No jewelry or baggy clothes. Hair should be pulled back off the face.
- Female: leotard, tights and ballet shoes; or dance attire with jazz shoes. Skirts and Pointe shoes are optional. The class will include ballet barre work.
- Male: tights or fitted shorts, T-shirt, and ballet shoes or jazz shoes. The class will include ballet barre work.
- Novice: form-fitting exercise clothes, jazz shoes or barefoot (no socks). No baggy clothes or jewelry. (Dancewear is optional.)