Only students who have submitted a complete application will be granted an audition for admission to the ChiArts Dance Department. Please visit the application pages for more information.
Backstage Passes will be held this fall to help students prepare for the audition process. Participation in the Backstage Passes is strongly recommended. Registration closes a week before each event.
Students of all abilities may audition for admission into the dance program. ChiArts recognizes the need to provide opportunities for students who have had high levels of prior dance instruction, as well as students who have had little to no prior training but demonstrate a strong natural ability and a desire to learn.
Students of all levels are encouraged to apply. This includes, but is not limited to:
- NOVICE – Less than two years of dance training
- INTERMEDIATE – Two or more years of formal or informal training
- ADVANCED – Four or more years of formal training
How to Audition In-Person for the Dance Conservatory – Advice Video
How to Audition Virtually for the Dance Conservatory – Advice Video
Required Audition Preparation
- In-Person Auditions:
- Students are required to prepare a one-minute solo in any style of their choice. Students must bring music for the solo: an MP3 player, smartphone, or tablet is acceptable. All solos will be timed.
- Students will participate in an hour-long ballet and modern class.
- Virtual Auditions:
- Students are required to submit a video of them performing a one-minute solo in any style of their choice and a video replicating shapes demonstrated in the videos created by staff below.
- Students MUST record themselves demonstrating both the Ballet and Modern combination.
Ballet Audition Instructional Video
Modern Audition Instructional Video
In some cases, students may be asked to participate in an additional evaluation. Families will be contacted as necessary. No additional preparation is necessary.
Audition Dress Requirements
- All: No jewelry or baggy clothes. Hair should be pulled back off the face.
- Novice clothing options include: Fitted shorts, fitted T-shirts, and form-fitting exercise clothes. Jazz shoes or bare feet (no socks). No baggy clothes or jewelry. Dancewear is optional.
- Advanced clothing options include: leotard, tights, dance attire, tights or fitted shorts, fitted T-shirts, and form-fitting exercise clothes. Ballet shoes, jazz shoes, Pointe shoes, or bare feet (no socks). No baggy clothes or jewelry.