Students already attending high school who wish to be considered for admission should first check for available transfer openings here. ChiArts is not a selective enrollment high school; you must apply either through our website or through the ChiArts paper application for consideration.
Students must reside in the city of Chicago to attend ChiArts; out-of-city residents may apply but proof of residency is required by July 1, 2014 for fall entry.
Freshman 2014: the application for freshman 2014 is now CLOSED except for instrumental music majors. Find the steps for admission here.
ChiArts is a college-preparatory school, with rigorous academic and artistic programs. Students may apply to ChiArtsas a freshman if if they have:
- Attendance: less than 10 unexcused absences in the student's 7th grade year.
- Test Scores: A minimum percentile score of 24 in both math and reading on the 7th grade NWEA. Other nationally norm-referenced tests ( ex. ITBS, ISAT, TERRA NOVA, etc.) may also be considered.
- Students with special needs and students in bilingual programs are strongly encouraged to apply. Students with IEPs may have a combined reading and math percentile total of 48 (e.g., reading 20 and mathematics 28). The absence requirement is unchanged for IEP students. Contact us if you have questions.
Transfer applicants must have:
- GPA: Minimum 2.3
- Test Score: Minimum composite score of 15 (9th Grade EXPLORE - 10th Grade PLAN Tests)
- Credits On-Track: An earned credit sequence in line or close to the academic sequence of ChiArts. ChiArts requires 28 credits to graduate (more than standard CPS schools), so your credits are reviewed and approved by our academic team BEFORE you are granted an audition. You can review the graduation requirements and check your credits here.
- Transfer applications are only reviewed if openings in their desired conservatory are available.